Why do you really want a boyfriend or girlfriend?
“There are a whole bunch of reasons why people get into relationships. Some are good (“They are a wonderful, godly person”), some are not so good. Are any of these statements familiar?
- Everyone else has a boyfriend/girlfriend, and I don’t want to be forever alone.
- This really cute girl asked me out. I’m not in love with her or anything, but she asked, so we’ll go out.
- Kissing and sex seem so exciting. If I don’t find someone to get with soon, I’m going to explode!
- People are making fun of me for being a virgin. I’ve got to do something to get them off my back.
- That girl/guy is hot. I want them. That is all.
Have you thought anything similar to those statements? Then ask yourself these questions:
Am I wanting to serve this person and help them in their relationship with Jesus? OR
Is this relationship really just about making myself feel good?
If your answer is closer to the second, then all you’re going to do is use and hurt someone for your own pleasure. That’s not God’s pattern of relationships.
Love … does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking … 1 Corinthians 13:5.”